Friday, March 10, 2017

February 2017 Wrap Up

I haven't done monthly wrap-up posts before. I normally include a monthly wrap-up shot on Instagram, but I figured February was as good a month as any to start. And since I don't give full reviews to all the books I read it this might help give a snippet of what other books I'm reading!

February was a pretty decent reading month for me, I mostly stuck to my reading challenges and book club lists and added a couple more into the mix as well, although I did slack a little on my classics challenge reading.


February Reading

First in February I read Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty for my work book club and I ended up greatly enjoying it. I did have a couple of minor quibbles with it but overall it was a super entertaining reading experience and I would love to  I can't wait to watch the HBO miniseries which I've hear is really good!
My rating: 5/5

The next book I read was a graphic novel called Castle Waiting by Linda Medley which I first heard about from Book Riot which made it seam right up my ally and it was! This beautiful graphic novel is quietly subverts sexism and gender roles in a loose Sleeping Beauty spoof that narrates what happens to all the castle's inhabitants after the princess just up and leaves after being kissed by the prince. It is light-hearted, fun, and comforting like curling up with a mug of hot chocolate and cookies. It is both nostalgic with its fairy-tale feel and forward looking as it paints a picture of a better tomorrow.
My rating: 5/5

For the February Criminally Good Book Club, I read Trust No One by Paul Cleave. I wanted to like this book, I really did! It's a thriller about a crime fiction author with Alzheimer's who, as his mind begins to deteriorate, begins to confess that the crimes in the books he wrote are real. He knows, because he committed them. Or did he? It sounds amazing right? Unfortunately I felt like the execution did not live up to the premise of this book leaving me feeling indifferent about it.
My rating: 3/5

I also read Through the Grinder by Cleo Coyle the second in the Coffeehouse mystery series. This series of mysteries is centered around an East Village coffeehouse owner and the murder mysteries she somehow keeps getting involved in and solving. I love to pick these cozy mysteries whenever I'm in the mood for a New York-y mystery that is not super angsty. The Coffeehouse mysteries are a reliably good read that make my want to sit in a coffee house and sip lattes all day. Also great punny titles, because of course.
My rating: 3/5

I continued with my #YearofCosmere reading project this February with Mistborn the first in the epic fantasy Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. This was a reread for me and I loved it just as much the second time around. Go check out my full review!
My rating: 5/5

I finished Huckleberry Finn this month which was my January pick for the 2017 Back to the Classics challenge. I definitely slacked this month although I hope to pick up the pace again in March.
My Rating: 4.25/5

Last but not least, I read the Little Book of Hygge by Meik Wiking. I picked this adorable book up from Book Culture after becoming slightly obsessed with the new lifestyle trend of Nordic coziness.
It is an adorably illustrated guide to Hygge for anyone wondering about how to incorporate Hygge concepts into their life. It is a bit on the pricey side for a book just over 200 pages long. If you are just looking for information about Hygge the internet is just as good a resource, but it does make a cute display book.
My rating: 4/5

That's a wrap folks! Let me know if you've read any of these books or what you though about them!


No comments:

Post a Comment