Sunday, February 5, 2017

#NYCBookstore Book Culture

It's been a while since I've I've done a #NYCBookstore post! This weekend I attended an event on the Upper West Side which is a little out of the way of my daily stomping grounds so I don't frequent it as much as I should, which is a shame because they have so many cute bookstores! I arrived a little early and had a look around Book Culture on 114th and Broadway. This one room bookstore is the definition of cozy neighborhood bookstore. The bright interior is filled with stuffed wooden bookshelves and several themed displays including one on contemporary and historical African American civil rights and on Hygge lifestyle.

I found the curation to be interesting and current, consisting largely of new or recent release titles in literary fiction and non-fiction. Genre fiction was not ignored though, with two shelves for mystery and one sci-fi/fantasy shelf. They also had a great cookbook, art and graphic novel section.



Sprinkled throughout the store are great 'staff pick' recommendation cards. Speaking of the staff they are the nicest people! They were happy to chat and an give recommendations when they saw me hesitating between two books.

The store also carries a variety of super cute, albeit pricy home goods such as artisans mugs, soaps and dish-ware. in addition to bookish merchandise, post-cars and tote bags. All books are full-priced, and while I prefer to purchase by books used or half-priced I was happy to walk away with a purchase in support of this indie store. I have a feeling that if I lived in the area, I would spend a lot of time here! If you are in the area and looking for a gift for a fellow book lover or just for yourself, I definitely encourage you to drop by!

http://www.bookculture.com/ 

Bonus: Super friendly staff and great staff recommendations.

No comments:

Post a Comment