Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Greenlight Bookstores

It's been a while since I've done a NYC Bookstore Spotlight! Today I want to introduce you to one of my favorite bookstores in NYC: Greenlight Bookstores! There are actually two locations, the original and larger one in Fort Greene and the second branch in Prospect Leffert Gardens (both are in Brooklyn) I am actually closest to the PLG branch but frequent both regularly since they host different bookish events at each location.

Greenlight PLG! 


There are several things that I love about Greenlight and that make these bookstores stand out even among the excellent selection of indies that NYC has to offer: First the curation is excellent, featuring everything from front list literary fiction to a large children's section as well as a selection of journals, postcards and other NYC bookish souverniers. The prices tend to be full-sticker prices but they will have occasional sales and do have a great rewards program. 

Second, Greenlight tends to have some of the best bookish events and book groups in the city. Greenlight draws in big names like Jesmyn Ward and Celeste Ng as well as local authors like Liza Jessie Peterson. Being able to attend author events like these has definitely been a highlight of my bookish life in NYC. They also host a wide range of book clubs and book groups catering to most genre tastes.

At the launch for Sing, Unburied, Sing!


Last, but certainly not least, the staff is one of the friendliest and most knowledgeable that I've encountered. They're always up for a chat about their favorite latest read or ready with a recommendation handy should you need one. My only quibble with Greenlight is the way they shelve their books (you know it's a great bookstore when my only concern is being petty over the shelving methodology!) They shelve all of their fiction together without separating by genre. Which means that I can't go to the mystery section and browse which is, I realize, the most first-world complaint ever. 

In all seriousness, I adore Greenlight for the access to high quality events it gives readers, several of my bookish friends and I have bonded over attending Greenlight events, (like book club) they're always a great time! If you live in the Brooklyn area or are just visiting the area and are interested in bookish events, take a look at Greenlight's calendar, chances are there's an amazing event in the next few days.

Bookhaul for #Smallbuinsesssaturday #shoplocal





No comments:

Post a Comment