Thursday, January 11, 2018

New Year, New Borough, New Books!

Looking back at 2017…

This past year was a such a whirlwind of change and bookish fun that I’m still trying to wrap my mind around it. Some of the highlights were attending BookCon, Joining the Book Riot Insiders and making new bookish friends, discovering a new favorite genre and the biggest one: moving to Brooklyn.

Moving to Brooklyn has changed my bookish life in several ways: for one I have both a library and bookstore within walking distance and many more bookstores and bookish events a short ride away. It is both exhilarating and a bit overwhelming: too many great events and too little time! At the same time I moved from a one bedroom apartment into a studio, which, while nice for my wallet has limited my capacity to keep books. The library and e-books have become closer friends and my attitude towards giving away books has become more lax. Overall last year was a great bookish year. I met some bookish goals (82/65 books on my Goodreads challenge and fell short of others but I

For a quick summary of my favorite books check out my ‘Best of 2017’ post on Instagram!

Why yes they are
Books are Magic in Brooklyn 


Looking forward to 2018…

I learned a lot of things about myself as a reader this past year that informed me on changes I want to implement in 2018. For example, I learned that I am mainly a mood-reader and thus struggle sometimes with long-predetermined reading challenges. On the other hand, I also learned that I love read-a-thons and reading sprints. I learned to be open to new styles and genres but also learned that it’s ok to DNF a book you’re really not into.

In the spirit of taking these lessons an implementing them I decided to try a different approach to reading challenges this year: I decided to begin two long-term challenges but not give myself a hard deadline. This way I can still make progress towards these goals while participating in other book clubs without the extra pressure. The two long term challenges I’ve decided to start this year are: Book Riot's 100 Must-Read New York City Novels Challenge and The Agatha Christie Canon Challenge. Click on the links to find out more about each one and keep an eye on more post to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment