Monday, April 3, 2017

March 2017 Wrap Up

March was a bit of a slumpy month for me. It wasn't terrible by any means, I did get through five books, but a lot of these books were on the shorter side and compared to the perhaps too-ambitious goals I set for myself of finishing two classics and two fantasy books on top of book club books I definitely fell short.

March: an OK reading month


I also decided to try being a book polygamist this month where as normally I only read one book at a time. Currently I am alternating between a non-fiction, a classic and a fantasy book and while this keeps my interest in one particular book from dwindling, it definitely slowed my pace down at least in the short run. (Are you a book monogamist or polygamist?)

Finally two books which I was expecting to really enjoy turned out not to be for me which got me into kind of a reading funk but hopefully April will get me out of this sluimpy mood with lots of fun reading events coming up like and event with Jessamyn Stanley at the Strand (come join me!) and the Dewey's 24-hour read-a-thon which I will be participating in this April!

Without further ado here is my March Wrap up:

The Good Girl by Mary Kubica 2/5

Latte + Plants = prime Instagram opportunity


I this book was my blind date with a book pick from Book Culture. I chose this book because the adorable wrapping compared it to Gone Girl, the Room and Girl on the Train, definitely a win right? Unfortunately the book fell flat for me. The plot lacked tension, the characters lacked depth (including a couple of cringy racial moments) and the big twist for me was more of an eye roll than a gasp.

All Grown Up by Jami Attenberg 3/5

This cover tho! <3


This is another book that didn't quite get there for me. I feel pretty conflicted about this book. Objectively this is an excellent book written in a raw, concise and engaging way which looks at one woman's life with unflinching honesty exposing the good, the bad and the ugly. It explores what it means to be single and childless. It is a great book that speaks to many people but not to me at this particular point in my life. As an annoying, the-world-is-my-oyster millennial, the thought of ending up unhappy with my life at 40 seems the opposite of empowering. Maybe I'll get more enjoyment out of this book when I'm older..
You can find my full review here.  

His Bloody Project by Gramae Burnet Macrae  5/5

The foamiest of lattest!



I absolutely loved this book although I was surprised the structure and setting turned out to be different from what I normally tend to enjoy in crime fiction, it left me blown away and thinking about the topics that the book brings up long after I had finished the book. You can find my full review here.

Dear Ijeawele, or a Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie 4/5

@ the Stumptown Coffee Roasters


This was my sorority's book club pick of the month. I enjoyed this book much more that 'We Should all be Feminists' by the same author and it was super quick and engaging to get through. I feel like this will be a go-to gift in the future and have passed on my own copy to another person in the hopes of spreading 

Corporate Survival Guide for Your Twenties: A Guide to Help You Navigate the Business World by Kayla Cruz 4/5




So I've been really into life style blogs lately. Don't judge! It turns out there is a lot of great thoughtful content about learning to adult from people who have done it before. One of my favorite blogs so far is Kayla Cruz's Gen Y Girl were she shares her hilarious insights about life and work. Turns out she wrote a book about it too which I bough in an impulsive fit of millennial solidarity. This short volume is a book chock-full of common sense for people starting out in the workforce and would be a nice gift for any grads in your life.

What did you read this March? Have you read any of these books?



No comments:

Post a Comment